Road Information Exchange
Road Information Exchange
Transnomis Road Information Exchange offers a path forward to a complete collection of road closures, obstructions, restrictions, conditions, incidents, and events – for all travellers.
The Exchange offers municipalities (and other stakeholders) with road information software the opportunity to leverage the data distribution channels Transnomis has established for its Municipal511 clients. The Exchange offers agencies with road information management applications already in place, the opportunity to leverage the data.
It is not practical for navigation solutions, responder applications, provincial agencies and other stakeholders to consume information from each roads department, in the many formats data is currently managed and shared. The Exchange bridges the technical gap, to the benefit of information sources and distributors.
Transnomis appreciates good governance is required for province wide initiatives. In Ontario, Transnomis is working with the Ontario Good Roads Association (OGRA) to establish a multi-sector governance committee for the Ontario Road Information Exchange.
- Reduce emergency response times
- Reduce infrastructure damage
- Reduce project and event conflicts
- Reduce detours into projects and events
- Reduce road information distribution costs
- Reduce permit requests, and approval times
- Influence navigation algorithms, e.g. avoid roads for through travellers
- Transnomis Municipal511 and Responder511 clients already receive the benefits of the Exchange. The Exchange addresses interest from stakeholders that have road information management tools in place.
- It is not practical for each navigation company, responder application vendor, provincial agency, etc. to consume road data from each municipality. The Exchange addresses the needs of the distributors, as well as those with road information to share.
- The more complete the collection of road information, the better the outcomes expected. The Exchange is well suited for province/state/country wide initiatives.
- The Exchange is open to railways, provincial agencies, private ferry and bridge managers, etc.
The Exchange is priced by population to municipalities. Other pricing models are used with other stakeholders, e.g. railways.
The Exchange can consume a variety of data formats, including the Transnomis API. This advanced API goes beyond many data formats, supporting issue type, impact indicator (e.g. Road Closed – No Emergency Access), detour route, and sections of road open to local traffic only.
The data is distributed in the Transnomis API format, formats defined by distributors, and other formats.